Eurydice.
I've come to the conclusion
that you may be my Orpheus.
I just hope
you don't prove me right.
Please believe that I am here,
following you through this hellscape,
just a few footsteps behind.
I know you cannot see me.
I know that is the hardest part.
You have always needed proof—
something you could hold in your hands,
something you could look directly at
and call real.
But you cannot have that yet.
So listen.
My feet are still striking the earth
where yours have just been.
I am stepping into the impressions
you leave behind,
careful not to stumble,
careful not to call your name
when I see your shoulders tense
and your head begin to turn.
Don't.
Please.
I am here.
I know the silence makes it difficult.
I know there have been too many years
where you turned around
and I wasn't there.
But I am now.
Please do not lose me again.
There is light ahead of us.
I can see it gathering around you,
catching first in your hair,
then your shoulders,
turning you slowly from silhouette
back into someone I recognize.
And I want so badly
to see your face.
But not yet.
You have to guide us
just a little farther.
Because somewhere beyond this
there is still a patch of grass
beneath a willow tree
where the branches hang low enough
to make the whole world disappear.
There is an evening waiting for us
where nothing is burning,
nothing is ending,
and neither of us has to be afraid
of what happens when morning comes.
We'll lock eyes again in the sun.
We'll fall asleep beneath the moon
with our ankles intertwined
like the willow above us,
and maybe neither of us
will ever have to wonder again
whether the other one stayed.
But first
you have to believe me.
Even now,
when you cannot see me.
Especially now.
Keep walking.
Don't turn around
to make sure I followed.
I did.
I am.
I will follow you
all the way into the light.
Just please—
don't be the reason
I have to go back.
![]() |
| Carot, 1861 |

Comments
Post a Comment